Life-Saving Appliances, 2010 Edition, just published
Briefing: 53/2010, November 9, 2010
The 2010 edition of Life Saving Appliances is now available from the International Maritime Organization (IMO).
This publication includes the latest consolidated versions of the mandatory International Life-Saving Appliance (LSA) Code, the Revised Recommendation on Testing of Life-Saving Appliances and the Code of Practice for the Evaluation, Testing and Acceptance of Prototype Novel Life-Saving Appliances.
The updated requirements and recommendations in the new edition include those relating to:
• stowage, fitting and equipment of liferafts;
• certification and fitting of lifeboats;
• new requirements for fast rescue boats;
• requirements for lifeboat and rescue boat launching appliances;
• carrying capacity of free-fall lifeboats;
• changes in the average weight of persons to be used for the design and equipment of life-saving appliances;
• extensive new requirements for lifejackets, including the introduction of infant and child lifejackets;
• extensive associated changes to testing requirements for life-saving appliances, including the introduction of reference test devices.