Under the direct instructions of the Maritime Safety Committee and the Marine Environment Protection Committee, the Sub-Committee on Bulk Liquids and Gases (BLG) will consider matters related to the following subjects, including the development of any necessary amendments to relevant conventions and other mandatory and non-mandatory instruments, as well as the preparation of new mandatory and non-mandatory instruments, guidelines and recommendations, for consideration by the Committees, as appropriate, including the role of such measures for the protection of the marine environment:
- prevention and control of marine pollution from ships and other related maritime operations involved in the transport and handling of oil and dangerous and noxious liquids substances in bulk;
- evaluation of hazards of dangerous and noxious liquid substances in bulk transported by ships;
- control and management of ships’ ballast water and sediments;
- construction, equipment and operational requirements for ships carrying bulk liquids and gases;
- protection of personnel involved in the transport of bulk liquids and gases; and
- survey and certification of ships constructed to carry bulk liquids and gases.